(From the archives)
You can never have too much of a good thing. And in this case, I’m talking about meat. This is another dish I made up one day years ago just for my husband while I was bored. The ingredients are roughly as follows…
-Pasta sauce (700 mL)
-Mild salsa sauce (about 3 C – 1/2 for bottom of dish and 1/2 for pasta sauce mixture)
-Canned mushrooms (284 mL)
-Chicken meatballs (about 25 frozen meatballs for slices from each)
-1 tbsp butter
-1 tbsp sugar
-Ricotta cheese (half of 475 g container)
-Sour cream (5 tbsp or more to soften ricotta)
-2 tbsp chopped garlic
-Salt and pepper to taste
-Italian seasonings to taste
-Mozzarella cheese (about 3 C)
1. In sauce pan, mix pasta sauce, half the salsa, drained mushrooms, sliced up chicken meatballs, butter and sugar till it starts to bubble.
2. In a small to medium bowl, cream ricotta cheese, garlic, sour cream, salt & pepper and Italian seasonings until mixture drops off spoon.
3. Pour second half of salsa into glass dish and layer with oven-ready or cooked lasagna noodles.
4. Spoon some meatball pasta sauce over noodles and top with creamed ricotta mixture.
5. Spoon thin layer of meatball pasta sauce and top with a bit of mozzarella (to bind the next layer of noodles to the bottom layers) and add more noodles.
6. Top with the last of the meatball pasta sauce and top with all of the mozzarella cheese leftover.
Bake for 45 minutes at 375 degrees. Let it cool down and set before serving.